3.22.2013

Every child is different

The phrase " every child is different is very true" I didnt really truly see it until I had my second child.
My first Truman really was the best baby. People would tell me all the time how lucky I was. I would just smile and nod but figured it was cause I followed the  BABYWISE METHOD. Which was/ is an awesome book. It helps train your baby to sleep through the night by 8 weeks.. about 10 hours then by 6 months to sleep 12 hours. Truman slept ten hours by 8 weeks no problem. He was the best. I am sure Heavenly Father gave me him first cause he knows if I had a hard baby first Id think twice about having another. Just kidding I would still have another regardless but itd be hard.
When people would tell me just wait till you have a second it wont be the same, I would just roll my eyes because I knew that cause of the routine I was doing via baby-wise was the reason why.
NOW I am totally eating my words or thoughts for that. Emmett my second baby. He is going to be 3 months on March 3. We have been letting him cry it out since he was 8 weeks because before that he would go maybe 3-4 hour stretches at night still. AHHH Truman at 6 weeks gave us 6-8 hour stretches. Emmett now will go about 6 and I let him cry it out and fall back asleep then once its been 8 if he wakes up I feed him. I can not wait ill the day that he will give me 10 hours. Which he should be able to do by now. I am hating all my friends that have babies who slept 10 hours at 2 months. I dont know if this go around we are more weak with letting him cry or what it is. Is it because we are nervous he will wake older brother? Maybe, but when he has cried it out at 2 am it hasnt woken him so? We have been a lot more weak at not letting him cry as long, and give him the binky. Emmett seems to just cry and cry and cry. It sometimes has been 2-3 hours. That is crazy. obviously its not full fledged screaming,its like whimper fall asleep for maybe 20 then whimper then cry etc, but come on kid whats the deal.
Emmett also is not a big eater like Truman. Truman was a perfect nurser. those first weeks were rough getting it down and it was frustrating he would only do one side. Then at about 2 months he was a solid ten on each side. Not Mr. Emmett, he will do 5 minutes sometimes just on one side. then sometimes 5 on one side and maybe 2 on the other. He isnt falling asleep or anything, he just pulls of and stairs up at me and purses his lips shut. TMI but i even slighlty smack him with by breast and he could care less. lol Truman would suck all day long if I would have let him. Maybe thats why Emmett isnt as good at night. He doesnt eat enough during the day? However he is gaining weight just fine so?
Well thats that. If you have any pointers for me getting baby Emmett to sleep longer, and eat more, please do share. oy vey being a mom can be hard, but the tender moments make up for all of it!
( I am sorry if this post is scitter scatterd, I am just writing all my thoughts out there)

3 comments:

JoshandMegs said...

oh boy. i wish i had tips. i thought i had mastered getting babies to sleep when mailie slept through the night so quickly like abigail. but then she stopped :( and it wasn't until just a couple months ago that she started sleeping through the night, but she is still a little wishy washy. currently we are on a schedule of waking up at 5:30...i can't tell you how "awesome" that is. ha.

i hope he starts to sleep magically for you. we would all function better if our babes would sleep.

Anonymous said...

Spoil your baby the first year. It doesn't last forever. You are right every baby is different. You should try reading other books then baby wise. Always Trust your mother instinct first.

Anonymous said...

I used the babywise method too. The book does not say to let your baby cry it out for 2-3 hours. Your baby clearly needs something. Whether its food due to a growth spurt, gas, or simply needs mom. The book says to help your baby get tired first. You help him start to fall asleep but put him in the crib before he fully falls asleep. If your baby is crying, the book says to only let them cry 20mins. If its been 20 mins you are supposed to go help them relax and try it again. 2-3 hours sounds extreme. They're only little for so little time, he will start to sleep longer later. Try another method with him.