3.22.2013

A vacation!

Tyler and I are so ready for a BIG vacation. Yes we have done little mini-moons here and there, but never really anything big. Mini-moons are the best. I think  know they are the best to keep your spark alive. Even if its just for one night in your own city, its still fun to go on a little adventure with each other. Re-live the honeymoon type thing. We've been to places close by, Newport, Lake Powell, San Francisco, Park City etc. which have been so wonderful, but were ready to go a little farther.

I wont lie it was frustrating watching all these young couples just like us go to Africa, on Cruises, South America, Europe, whatever it may be. Everyone's lives and circumstances are all different when they first get married. Some people get married and have a house right off the bat and dont have to really worry about a budget. That was not the case for us.

Let me just share a glimpse. Tyler had been home from his mission for 6 months, I had been in school for 2 years. I thought I had saved a lot, but little did I know what was going to come at me hard. Well I became the supporter to put Ty through school, he worked part time too but I was the full time bread winner. That was hard since I had never worked full time in my life! Also I may mention I was making $9 an hour people, i eventually got bumped up to $10, but supporting 2 of us, plus rent, a car payment, a ring payment, and bills. Therefore my savings went out the door real fast. When single people say they cant afford to move out of their parents house, I die laughing at them inside, if I can do it supporting two of us you sure can do it alone. It was a very hard adjustment for me, and marriage in itself is a hard adjustment too. Just the little things of sharing everything really and the way you do things.
- i like the toilet paper "wrong" ( in my case it is wrong to many) but i like it to roll in the back, he likes it to roll forward--now we have a toddler who will take the end and run with it in hand pulling the whole role out. so if you come to our house you will not see toilet paper on the dispenser thing it is sitting on the counter ( totally tacky but im over it)
-toothpaste squeezing we both dont care either way but i know some have said they hate middle squeezers vs squeezing from the end
-the dishes I hate dishes anyway but loading them, i put the forks and knives down he puts them up.. -- we both dont really care though at least the dishes are getting done
- laundry the towels are washed alone by themselves -- he puts a few with a load of clothes.
-i hate soap it makes my skin dry and i use body wash-- he loves soap
-- ok got the point, i am trying to think of other little things out there but its whatever. Marriage is the best. You learn a lot I feel that first year. At least for me I did. Being cut off cold turkey was hard but the Best thing for me .
I love being independent.

Now that I have rambled back to the main topic. We are Planning a Big trip for just the two of us. NO KIDS of course. We debated many different things. We decided on the newest Cruise through Royal Caribbean. Its called Oasis of the Seas. It goes to two Virgin Islands and the Bahamas. We are stoked. Now It is a bit more pricey than other cruises but thats because it has all the bells and whistles. We have told whoever wants to come, to come along with us, but most have told us its not worth the cost. To us its still worth it Why?
To go to New York City for a week.. The cost it is for us to do the cruise for a week compared to the cost of everything to do and stay in NYC would put us in hotel room in the heart of NYC in a safe area for the week. That doesn't include our food, Broadway shows, SHOPPING, entertainment, transportation etc. Yes we could stay outside of time square, and take the subways into the city. If your unaware though staying in the heart of the city in a descent place is about $400 a night. I wouldn't care to go to NYC for a week anyways, maybe a couple of days. I am just putting the point out there. That a cruise is the way to go.
Yes yes we know about all the horrific things that have been going on with the cruise ships, which have been Carnival ships, but that is not deterring us from going.
We decided about every 5 years we will do something a bit bigger. We cant just wait until we're older and our kids are out of the house to enjoy. We have to live while were young too. Obviously we will also go on our little family trips too, I just mean for the two of us.
I dont want to feel as if I am bragging, which I hate hate hate. It is a huge pet peeve of mine. I think its inconsiderate. However I do think that a blog is a nice place to write about ones life, experiences, thoughts, etc. If you choose to read blogs its your choice and cant take offense of what people are saying and doing with they're lives that they are writing about. It is basically a journal that anyone can read. I love reading about other peoples lives, I learn a lot from others experiences. The detailed blogs are my favorite. So here's to you, my lovely followers and readers. I am going to try and start posting more. My mind is a wondering place and scattered so I will try to get better and nailing down things to write. It is therapeutic!
(if you want to join us on our cruise let me know)!!! I think itd be fun.

1 comment:

JoshandMegs said...

the toilet paper bit made me laugh. i don't think it's tacky to put it up high, it's just a sign of having a kid around, and who wants to pick up the endless amounts of toilet paper! ;)
i totally get being a bit envious of seeing people go on trips when you haven't. but then i realize many of these people are putting their trips on credit, and going into further debt while i am saving...we'll see who's laughing in the end. ;) jk.