10.25.2012

Second Kid Hospital/Husband

Ok Friends who have had a child a second go around how did it work what did you do for the whole process?

I have been playing many scenarios in my head of what is going to happen. The worst case scenario is A. It a blizzard Christmas morning and I go into labor ( i DO NOT WANT A CHRISTMAS BABY) . B. who is going to want to come get Truman? C. Its a blizzard like I mentioned so itll take a while for anyone to come. and I am not about to sit and wait when I am in full fledged labor. I go quickly last time it was about a 5 hour labor and I am told with each one its faster? ahh! I like my epidural yes please, and I would probably be panicking waiting around for someone to get to my house to watch Truman lol
This is where you experienced moms come in to calm my soul of what is the easiest and best way that makes sense for the process. Here are the questions to make it easier, if youd love to respond thatd be great! Just for the record I am not that stressed I just want to have it figured out in my mind before its last minute and I have to replay the scenario above because it comes early or something..
1. what do you do with child #1 when you go into labor? --stupid ? probably..
2. when does child #1 come to visit you at the hospital? -stupid ? i realize but ya?
3. does child #1 stay with someone the whole time your staying at the hospital OR does dad go home at nights to stay with child #1 and then someone watches him during the day so dad can be with you at the hospital during the day? 
4. I dont really know what would be best so you should tell me your experiences and how you worked it all out.
My mom and mother in law both dont live here. However they will be coming to help once baby comes but that doesnt mean theyll be here when I am in labor. I never know when ill deliver
THANK YOU THANK YOU IF YOU DECIDE TO RESPOND.. haha its very helpful. Thanks for following our blog too! LOVES

5 comments:

Austin and Kristen Bennion said...

I'm not sure if your parents will be in town but I would have my parents or close friend stay with the child during the day and have dad go home at night with child #1 so that the child is more comfortable and at ease. That way, dad knows the routine and how to get him to bed, etc. I thought I would want my husband at the hospital with me at night (I hated being at the hospital alone with the first kid), but then after having the second child I changed my mind. I felt better about my husband being at home with Logan, plus its not like what they have comfortable beds at the hospital for the husbands to sleep on so I felt it would be better if he went home and got some good sleep because I knew one of us needed to get good rest so that we both weren't so drained and tired. Plus, I enjoyed having my alone time with the baby. I didn't have baby #2 until 11pm when Logan was already asleep so Logan came to see his baby sister the next morning.

If your worst case scenario happens, and if you can't wait to go to the hospital, take Truman with you guys so at least you can work on getting settled into your room and getting that epidural while someone is coming to get him and have them pick him up at the hospital. If Truman is too much of a distraction, have your husband take him for a walk (its not like it is a really quick process getting settled in or anything so chances are your husband won't miss the delivery!). I hope this wasn't too confusing haha

Amy said...

I think Kristen gave perfect advice! I haven't even thought about those things, but I probably should. I have mostly been stressing about the after the hospital, two babies thing. I'm sure everything will work out!

Whitney said...

thanks Kristin that was a lot of help.. great to know!
Amy yes after the hospital too with 2 babies ahh more so the "healing process" ha i cringe when i think too much about it.. but the two babies as well especially the settling in once mommy help leaves!

Courtney and Matt said...

Whitney,
If you go into labor call me and I will come get Truman ASAP. Also by then my mom will be living up here and watching Milo during the day so I am sure she would be happy to watch Truman too. We are not leaving anywhere for the holidays so you can count on me:)

Lindsey said...

I understand all of your questions, because you don't have any family nearby! I'm a planner and would asking the same things if I didnt have my mom and mother in law so close.

I would be sure to have a friend or someone in the ward "on call" to take Truman when you go into labor. Even if it's in the middle of the night, or in the middle of a blizzard on Christmas morning ;). I would have Tyler go home @ night with Truman too. Hopefully your mom or mother in law get there shortly after the babe is born, then Tyler can trade off with them between Truman and visiting.

You'll find your our rythym and thankfully, it's only a few days in the hospital, then you'll be snuggled in at home with your new family of FOUR!

Good luck girl :)